Taking the carburetor out and taking it completely apart is easier with some guidance.
Removing Carburetor From Vehicle
- Turn gas shut off valve to off position and run engine until engine stalls, having used up most of the gasoline in the carburetor.
- From passenger side of engine, disconnect throttle linkage (which is spring loaded) from the carburetor.
- Disconnect choke rod from the carburetor by pushing up sleeve (set aside sleeve and spring).
- Disconnect fuel line from the carburetor with either at 1/2" or 9/16" wrench.
- Remove two mounting bolts with a 1/2" wrench.
- When lifting carburetor out of the engine compartment, use caution so as to not drip gasoline onto the fender.
Disassembly of a Zenith Model A Ford Carburetor
- Remove Main Bolt and pull castings apart. If the two halves do not pull apart by hand, it is mostly likely due to a stuck Venturi. To separate casting halves, fully seat a six-inch long, hex head bolt and lightly strike bolt head with a hammer a few times. If castings are badly rusted and corroded, they may need to be thermal shocked to loosen parts and threads. After making sure that all gasoline is completely evaporated from carburetor, try heating with a torch, but do not get them too close to cherry red. Be careful with small brass parts and soft metal Venturi. After thermal shocking, repeat the earlier steps in this paragraph to separate the casting halves.
- Try to remove all parts using hand tools.
- If Venturi is stuck in one of the castings, use Venturi Extraction Tool.
- To remove the idling jet, use Drilled Out 9/32 Nut Driver.
- To remove Gas Adjusting Valves (GAV), which have the special 13/32" head, use Gas Adjusting Valve Wrench.
- Dig out and discard all old gaskets.
- Remove hidden brass Gas Adjusting Valve Seat and gasket washer, if they were used in your vintage of lower casting.
- Look for rusted Filter Strainer tips that may need to be dug out of upper castings.
- Drill out brass passage plugs from both castings.
- Inspect Castings.
ˆ Top of Page • Drain Plug • Gaskets • Secondary Well • Idle Air Adjustment Needle Valve • Float Valve and Float • Venturi • Idle Jet • Castings • Upper Casting Passages • Dremel Stone #911 • Throttle Shaft Bushing Drill Fixture Plate • Gas Adjusting Valve Seat Honing Tool & Guide